13 November 2014

Alma 29: I Wish I Was An Angel!

I'm going to have trouble saying much about this chapter. Basically, Alma is wishing that he was an angel so he could be even more effective at converting people and doing God's will. 

O that I were an angel, and could have the wish of mine heart, that I might go forth and speak with the trump of God, with a voice to shake the earth, and cry repentance unto every people! 29.1
 Yea, I would declare unto every soul, as with the voice of thunder, repentance and the plan of redemption, that they should repent and come unto our God, that there might not be more sorrow upon all the face of the earth. 29.2
 But behold, I am a man, and do sin in my wish; for I ought to be content with the things which the Lord hath allotted unto me. 29.3

But even though Alma wasn't an angel, he still was doing a pretty good job at converting people. Of course, he didn't do it alone. He was quick to thank his brothers, too. Their success just makes him so dang happy!

God hath called me by a holy calling, to preach the word unto this people, and hath given me much success, in the which my joy is full. 29.13 
But I do not joy in my own success alone, but my joy is more full because of the success of my brethren, who have been up to the land of Nephi. 29.14 
Behold, they have labored exceedingly, and have brought forth much fruit; and how great shall be their reward! 29.15 
Now, when I think of the success of these my brethren my soul is carried away, even to the separation of it from the body, as it were, so great is my joy. 29.16
That's pretty much the gist of it. Call me a minimalist, but if I were etching this story into plates, I probably would have skipped this internal monologue. But I peeked ahead, and there is some great stuff coming up in the next chapter. So stay tuned.

2 comments:

Stephen said...

"Chloroform in print"
- Mark Twain

Can't wait for the next installment:
"Look... MORE chloroform in print!
- Samwise Gamgee channeling Mark Twain
;-)
Steve Weeks

Unknown said...

Yes, the last few posts have been excruciating. But the next chapter (working on it right now) is pretty fun. It has Korihor, one of the coolest characters in the BOM.